Browse articles

तेरापंथ शासन का कार्यकारी हस्ताक्षर महासभा

By मुनि सुमेरमलजी (मंत्रीमुनि), मुनि उदित कुमार

Vol. 61 · No. 09September - 2013pp. 55-58Hindi

Summary

The document covers the history of the Jain Shwetambar Terapanthi Mahasabha from 1942 to 1968. In 1942, World War II severely impacted Calcutta, causing widespread fear and leading most students to leave the city. The school closed indefinitely, and the landlord issued a vacate notice. The Sabha decided to negotiate rent reduction or find a new premises. The library was moved to Gangashahar, and the office was reduced to a single room. In June 1942, the Jodhpur Sabha was approved as a branch of the Calcutta Sabha. By 1943, the office remained in Calcutta, with a secondary office opened in Gangashahar. In 1944, efforts began to restart the school. A January 1945 general meeting passed a proposal to raise a fund of ten lakh rupees for a school building and educational promotion. A subsequent meeting in April 1945 resolved to start collecting donations, with payments to begin after three lakh rupees were pledged. The building would be jointly owned by the local Terapanthi Sabha and the school, with remaining funds used for educational purposes. In May 1945, a branch was opened in Delhi. In March 1950, the first meeting was held in the Sabha's own building at 3 Portuguese Church Street, thirty-seven years after its establishment. This was the second community building, following one donated in Chadwas in 1945. The Sabha also began providing interest-free loans for education. In 1953, discussions addressed social work and the Anuvrat movement, with some members opposing the Sabha's involvement. In 1955, the Sabha decided to take up the publication of Agam scriptures, a significant historical task. In 1956, the Sabha started annual examinations in Tattvajnana, which later expanded significantly. A new building was constructed on land in front of the original building, with ownership confirmed as belonging solely to the Mahasabha. In 1957, the women's department was activated, incorporating newly formed women's groups. In 196

Conclusion

The document reveals that the Jain Shwetambar Terapanthi Mahasabha navigated severe disruptions during World War II, leading to school closures and relocation of its library, yet it resiliently maintained operations and expanded its network, including establishing a branch in Delhi. A major outcome was the acquisition of its first permanent building in 1950, fulfilling a 37-year aspiration, which enabled hosting guests and stabilizing activities. The Sabha also pioneered educational initiatives, such as interest-free student loans and annual religious examinations, which later grew significantly. It engaged internationally, corresponding with scholars abroad and participating in UNESCO events, while also providing famine relief in Rajasthan. Internal debates over social work and the scope of activities persisted, but the Sabha successfully launched publications, including Agam texts, and established a women's wing, demonstrating its evolution into a multifaceted institution balancing tradition with progressive outreach.

Original PDF

Inline viewer

Checking source PDF

The viewer will load here if the archive file is reachable.